Monday, May 11, 2009

Oedipus Complex?


I've been wanting to post a picture of this cool craft my kids did. They spent an entire morning working on this quietly. It was quite amazing that they collaberated without any fighting. It is a family mail center, and they even put moving flags on each one to signal when family members have mail. Once they had their mail center up and running, the kids wrote several notes to each other and put them in envelopes and put them in each other's mailboxes. It kept them busy for a good part of the day. It also drew them closer, I think, because they were writing nice things to each other.

Here's the funny part. Evan wrote a letter to me today, put it in my mailbox, and then told me that I had mail. I opened my letter and this is what my 4-year-old wrote to me:

YOU R HOT
I have to laugh because I know where this came from, and it's definitely nothing "inappropriate". A few days ago, Joy came in from playing outside and her face was beat red from running around. I told her that she was too hot and that she should sit down and drink some water to cool off. Evan took his cue from this interchange and wrote her a note about it the next day. His note said, "You R Hot." We all laughed maniacally at this because it seemed such a funny thing for him to say. Evan matter-of-factly said, "Joy was hot last night." But of course, since he got a laugh out of us, he continues to write notes to everyone in the family with the same message:
YOU R HOT

3 comments:

  1. What cute kids you have! I love that note. It's so good that you posted about it!

    XOXO
    Jen

    PS - hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahahaha!

    That is great! And true...you are hot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the inspiration, my eight year old and I have had a rough patch. Writting notes might remind her how much she means.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment, you will make me the happiest blogger in blogdom!