Sunday, May 24, 2009

Florence Nightingale I'll Never Be

What do YOU do when faced with a crisis?

Here's what I do when my 13-year-old neighbor comes to my house with blood gushing from her foot. I grab a towel, ask Al to bring some ice, and tell Hope to get me the phone. I get Rachel's foot wrapped and elevated. I find out how it happened - she was running down the stairs and caught her toe on the railing, splitting two of her toes apart (OUCH!) - and I call her parents (who are visiting with friends) to relay the information to them. I take a look at the wound and inform them that it may need stitches.

What do I do next? I break out into a cold sweat, start feeling nauseated, and my ears start ringing. I sit down and then I lie down on the floor. My husband comes in and wonders who needs more first aid - Rachel or me. I do NOT pass out, but I come as close as I possibly can.

In the end, I do what I'm able to do what is necessary. And that's about it.

2 comments:

  1. You and me, both! Ugh. I always thought it would be good if I could have become a nurse, but that could never be a viable option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! Very good! That would be me, too. Nursing was NOT my vocation.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment, you will make me the happiest blogger in blogdom!