Thursday, December 10, 2009

Having a Scrooge Moment



I love Christmas. It's my favorite time of year: snow, shimmering lights, crackling fires, festive foods, pretty gifts. I enjoy Christmas music as well, and it doesn't really bother me if it starts in November. . . .September is pushing it, though. But one thing annoys me. Sorry if I sound like a scrooge, but I'm really not impressed by the vast variety of renditions of all the traditional Christmas songs. I mean, how many ways can we possibly perform "Silent Night"? Every possible singer in singerdom has a Christmas album, and every single one has to do every single song. OK, so I'm exaggerating. . . . just a little.

I can be walking through the mall and hear 72 versions of "Jingle Bells" including pop, hip-hop, rap, acid rock, blues, celtic, jazz, soul, funk, punk, bluegrass, latin, mambo, merengue, classical, polka, salsa, and reggae. And those are just the music styles, not to mention the singing styles. Gee, let's try this song with the emphasis on "Jingle"; next we'll try it with the emphasis on "bells." Oh, and don't forget, we have to construct 87 different harmonies and inflections for this line right here.

Sorry I'm such a downer about this, but it seems slightly arrogant for every musician known to man to try to improve on the classics. I'd like to see some new material out there. Maybe I'll come up with some interesting song lyrics if any of you would like to put them to music.

I have a poll in my right-hand column if you'd like to vote - do you prefer the traditional renditions of old favorites, or do you enjoy the modernized versions?

4 comments:

  1. Amen to this post, Jen! I've been playing Bing and Third Day and that's about as variable as I get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - that is funny! I like the traditional songs, but my husband loves every different variation he can find. He has literally thousands of Christmas songs that he has collected.

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just in the Rite Aid last night and heard some "Joy to the World" done in some slow and jazzy way - I wanted to scream, "Sing it right or don't sing it at all!!!!!" Though, honestly, Christmas songs have become so associated with STORES and MALLS and stupid radio stations that they've lost their charm - and meaning. I am becoming a major Scrooge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your aversuib for the various versions and prefer the classic tunes myself! You should never mess with the classics. Although, I do have to say that I don't mind some of the instrumental variations..it's just when you start messing with rhythms and lyrics that I get really annoyed!

    So, for you Jen, I would suggest some on-line shopping with your favorite tunes on the stereo!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment, you will make me the happiest blogger in blogdom!