Sunday, February 10, 2013

Conversations with my Teen & Tween Daughters


Caution:  If you are a person of the male gender, you may find this post uncomfortable.  Proceed with discretion.  Or better yet, do not read this at all.  

I am pretty open with my kids when talking about life and all its intricacies.  Blunt, in fact.  I just don't see any reason to evade the questions.

When I was pregnant with my youngest, my oldest was about 5.  Being an exceptionally bright and precocious 5-year-old, she obviously wanted to know how the baby got in there and how it was going to come out.  I delicately explained the process, being as simple and vague as possible, leaving the subject open to more questions if she wasn't satisfied.  But I think she got the idea, and, being sufficiently grossed out, she didn't ask me any more questions for about 5 years.

When she reached around 10, with the other 2 close behind her, I figured it was time to start talking about "the changes."  You know, the subject matter that made every. single. person. squirm in their seats during health class.  I don't exactly remember learning about all this stuff, but I think it would be quite shocking for a kid to hear about it all at once.  So I tried to be delicate and explain it in such a way that makes it seem beautiful and a natural process of growing up. "Hey, you're going to start getting a period every month for the next 40 years.  It's messy, it's painful, and it will make you cranky for about 1/2 of your life."
 
My girls have been schooled.

Last night, they were asking me how long PMS lasts. I laughed and said, " It depends on who you ask."

I looked to my husband to elaborate. He usually tries to avoid such conversations by covering his ears and curling into a fetal position.  However, this time, he was able to give this insightful response:  "It's kind of like the 12 days of Christmas.  You get something new every day."

Ah, we're ready for adolescence, I believe.

However, we may need some advice in a few more years.  I will be turning to you, because my husband will in the corner, sucking his thumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, you will make me the happiest blogger in blogdom!