Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Loverboy

You think I've been too busy to write a blog post in over a month, but you're wrong. I've actually been letting you grow a craving for yet another fabulous, inspirational, tremendously entertaining installation of this blog.

But, wait, that sets me up for having to actually write something fabulous, inspirational, and tremendously entertaining.

So, yeah, I've been really busy, being a working mom and all. But today I will not regale you with tales from my adventures as a school secretary. Instead I will delight you with stories of a 5-year-old who seems to have a way with the ladies.

Ever since he started school, just a little over a year ago, my little guy has come home with tales of his "friendships" at school. . . mostly with little girls. I've shared this story before, but after the first day of Kindergarten, we were sitting at the dinner table, and Evan told us, "I like Amber. I like to be by her." My husband asked, "Is she cute?" To which he responded, "She's hot!" We then proceeded to shoot mashed potatoes out of our noses due to uncontrollable laughter.

Shortly thereafter, he moved on to Evelyn. He had a crush on Evelyn for quite some time. For at least a month, his morning prayer would be, "God, please let me marry Evelyn when I grow up." I made the mistake of telling Evelyn's father that my son had a crush on his daughter and I could see that he immediately began calculating how much a shotgun would cost.

Near the end of the year, Evan came home and told me that yet another little girl was always trying to kiss him. I asked him, "Why do you think she's doing that?" He thought for a minute and then he said, "Well, I always call her sweetie pie." (I think I'm going to have to give him lessons on how NOT to give a girl the wrong idea.)

So, now we begin First Grade, and it's a whole new playing field: a year of experience under his belt, and a whole slew of new girls to get to know. A few days ago, I was sitting with Evan while he was eating breakfast at school, and another little first grader came up to us - a female first grader. She asked me, "Is this your son?" I said yes, and then she said, "He's so cute!" I laughed at her precociousness and hinted that Evan should play with her at recess, since she's in a different classroom. I guess he took the hint because he came home from school on Friday and told me all about how he had played with Esmeralda during the whole recess and that they had made plans to meet under the slide on Monday. And the whole weekend, he did not stop talking about his upcoming rendezvous - he gives a whole new meaning to "play date!"

As you can tell, I'm really enjoying this phase of my son's life. Am I overlooking a potential problem? Is my son going to be a womanizer, or is he just getting it out of his system early on? Or do I just get to sit back and enjoy these sweet moments of my son's life?

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny! It brings to mind Zhenya's second day of kindergarten, when, as we approached the door the cutest little girl turned and pointed and cried out, "That's the boy that kissed me!" The difference in our case was that Zhen just about crushed my instep, he recoiled so violently and the look of absolute horror on his face is imprinted on my memory. There was clearly NO WAY our Zhen had ever kissed that girl - in fact, standing behind a girl at the drinking fountain would have been too much proximity. That wild, brash and totally outrageous accusation did nothing if not confirm Zhenya in his "avoid girls at all costs" ways.

    You clearly have much to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment, you will make me the happiest blogger in blogdom!